Going through life-changing weight loss surgery, you will need to make many adjustments both before and after surgery, specifically in your diet and nutrition. Following the guidelines of pre-op diet set by Mexico Bariatric Center’s surgeons and dietitians is a very important part of the bariatric process.
Before gastric sleeve surgery, patients must undergo a preoperative diet to reduce body fat in the abdomen and liver (size of the liver). There is a direct correlation between obesity and the condition called fatty liver. This fatty liver enlarges it and makes it heavier – which we can see below is disadvantageous to weight loss surgery.
The goal of the diet is to consume 800 to 1000 calories per day in liquids. Considering most patients will be use to consuming 4 times the calories than this preoperative diet, patients may have some irritability, headaches which is perfectly normal. Other side effects such as headaches, as well as the irritability will diminish after a few days.
Things to Note:
- It’s important to consume enough water while on the liquid-only diet.
- Do not take any herbal medications for 7 days prior to surgery.
- Do not take any aspirin, Advil, Nuprin, Aleve or any other non-steroidal antiinflammatory medication for 7 days prior to surgery. These medications cause unnecessary bleeding after surgery. This includes baby aspirin and most arthritis medications. If you are not sure, please check with our Doctors. For headache or minor pains you may use Tylenol. You may restart these medications the next day after surgery.
- You may take needed medications (such as heart or blood pressure medications) with sips of water the morning of surgery as directed by our Doctors.
Pre-Operative Gastric Sleeve Diet – 7 to 14 Days Before Surgery
- Drink a protein drink at breakfast and lunch (at least 15 days of protein in a drink).
- Dinner: Salad with Protein (chicken, fish, egg, etc), small amount of low fat dressing, or fat free dressing or olive oil and vinegar.
- Drink 1 Protien Drink if Needed.
- You may also take 1 Metamucil capsule per day if needed for hunger.
Phase II: 3 Days Before Surgery
- Take a laxative (any laxative that you usually use). Take only clear liquids after that. This consists of broth, Jell-o, sugar-free juice, any clear liquid.
- You may have nothing to eat or drink after the midnight preceding surgery or 8 hours prior to your surgery.
- If you are a Same Day Surgery arrive with an empty stomach. If you are coming in a day prior you may have dinner but nothing after midnight.
- Black Coffee
- Tea/iced tea
- Low or no sugar fruit juices
- Jell-O – sugar free
- Sports Drinks
- Crystal Light
- Slim-Fast Low Carb Shakes
- Atkins Advantage Shakes
- Beef, vegetable, or chicken broth
- Propel Flavored Water
- Any 100% whey protein powder mixed with water or skim milk
- Popsicles – sugar free
- Sugar-Free Kool-Aid, Tang etc.
- Carnation Instant Breakfast – sugar free made with skim milk
- Fat-free cream soup made with skim milk
Guide to Gastric Sleeve Surgery: