Obesity is a grave threat to healthy living and becomes more and more troublesome as it becomes widespread. People who have body mass index more than 40 kilogram per meter square are labeled as morbidly obese. They are particularly at greater risk of serious diseases including diabetes, heart attack, hypertension, obstructive sleep apnea, cancer of different organs and many other life threatening conditions.
Related: Causes of Obesity
Losing weight is the only primary prevention against these lethal diseases otherwise obesity will cut life short by 9-11 years and the patient will die due to complications of obesity.
There is no doubt about effectiveness of weight loss surgery but a patient who decides to undergo any of the weight loss procedures, still needs a little work up in selecting a suitable facility for such an important surgery. Below are ten essential components that are of paramount importance to make a facility safe.
- Helping staff to facilitate patients at every moment: Bariatric surgery is a serious surgery and patients may get depressed; for emotional and physical support supporting staff along with a psychiatrist who allay the anxiety of the patient is a must.
- Experienced nutritionist: patients undergoing Bariatric surgery need dietary advice before and after surgery to get the full benefit of weight loss surgery. This advice can only be provided by an experienced nutritionist.
- Pre-operative assessment service: this is necessary to choose appropriate procedure for the patient along with quantifying and anticipating any anesthesia risk during surgery.Preoperative evaluation of the patient is done by an experienced anesthetist and a physician if needed cardiologist or pulmonologist may be called for help.
- Expert surgeon: an expert surgeon has utmost importance in making Bariatric surgery more successful with fewer complications.
- Experienced anesthetist: administration of anesthesia to a morbidly obese patient is a high risk job which can only be done safely by an experienced anesthetist who is expert in anticipating difficulties in administration of anesthesia for example difficult endotracheal intubation, dealing other emergencies during anesthesia and adequate resuscitation.
- Well-maintained sterilized operation theatre: well maintained operation theatre with proper cleaning and sterilization is very important in order to reduce chance of infection which can be life threatening.
- Backup arrangement for electricity and water: there should be a backup method of electricity and water in the operation theatre to minimize any disturbance created by electricity failure.
- Gastroscopy facility: an excellent Bariatric surgery facility also has facility of Gastroscopy to see stomach before and after surgery for any complication or before revision surgery
- Intensive care facility with trained staff: morbidly obese patients undergoing Bariatric surgery need intensive care after the procedure. A good facility provide this service for patients safety.
- Effective follow-up service: an effective follow-up service is necessary to help and guide patient after Bariatric surgery. Follow-up service not only addresses patient’s problems after surgery but also encourage him to lose weight effectively.
Before selecting a facility for weight loss surgery patients should keep these ten essentials in mind and should choose only bariatric surgery hospital that has all these facilities. Many bariatric surgery centers lack most of these facilities and compromise patient’s safety. These centers may apparently be cheaper than dedicated bariatric surgery hospitals, but they can increase patient’s problem due to lack of these security measures.