Are you confused about what protein shake to use? Are you interested in adding fruit or other nutrients but unsure of what you can add in after weight-loss surgery? Below, I will share my top picks for ingredients when making a weight-loss shake.
I think it is important to remember the big picture after weight-loss surgery. Yes, you had surgery because you wanted to lose weight, but in the end, we want to be and feel healthy. Health is not just about weight loss, but also about our skin, how we feel how and much energy we have. Due to your limited intake after weight-loss surgery, it is important to have at least one protein shake per day to promote healthy weight loss and assist with providing you with essential nutrients.
What should be in a weight-loss shake?
- A high-quality protein. I like to use either an unflavored whey protein or an organic vegan plant-based protein. The key is to get a protein base that you like, has at least 20 grams of protein, has less than 10 grams of total carbohydrates and does not have a lot of additives and preservatives.
- Use unsweetened almond or coconut milk as the liquid base. This helps with the taste and creating a creamy consistency. You also avoid chances of being lactose intolerant or the sugar content that is in regular milk.
- Add a few berries. Berries are loaded with antioxidants, phytochemicals, nutrients, and fiber. Adding berries can help minimize the chances of constipation after surgery as well as assist with balancing blood sugar levels.
- Use chia seeds. I call chia seeds the miracle nutrient. These tiny seeds are loaded protein, calcium, essential fatty acids and many other nutrients. These truly are a powerhouse food. They are also high in tryptophan, which is used to make the “feel-good” neurotransmitter, serotonin.
- Add spinach or kale. After weight-loss surgery, it’s hard to get your leafy greens. Not only do your greens assist with weight loss, but they are great for healthy and radiant skin. Blending your greens in your daily protein shake is a great way to sneak them in.
- Coconut oil. Adding one teaspoon of coconut oil is an excellent way to get in a healthy fat. It is good for maintaining healthy skin. After surgery, dry, ashy skin can be a side effect. Eating healthy fats can help minimize that, keeping your skin looking radiant.
You can be creative with your weight-loss shakes, but the above nutrients should be your staple protein shake. You will be amazed at how making this shake a part of your daily routine will affect your overall sense of satisfaction, skin, hair, nails and overall energy. Am I missing anything? I would love to hear from you regarding what you put in your weight loss shake!
Sending you warm wishes! ☺
Prudence- Registered Dietitian & Health Coach
Written by Prudence Ticknor, RD